Broccoli and blue cheese souffléPerfect for a vegetarian…
Broccoli and blue cheese soufflé
Perfect for a vegetarian entrance, check the recipe below
- Serves 4
- Takes 15 min to make and 18-20 min (individual) or 35-40 min (large) to cook
- 50g butter, plus extra melted butter for greasing
- Handful fresh fine white breadcrumbs
- 250g broccoli, thick stems removed
- 40g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- Good pinch of cayenne pepper
- Grated fresh nutmeg
- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 100g vegetarian blue cheese, crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6 and put a baking sheet in the oven to heat up. Brush a 15cm soufflé dish or 4 x 300ml ramekins with melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
- Blanch the broccoli in boiling water until almost tender, then pulse in a blender until smooth. Melt the butter in a pan, add the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Gradually add the milk, stirring, and bring to the boil. Boil for 2 minutes, until very thick.
- Off the heat, stir in the spices and the egg yolks. Season well. Stir in the puréed broccoli and the cheese. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and mix a spoonful into the mixture to loosen, before gently folding in the rest. Pour into the dish or ramekins, almost up to the rim. Run a finger around the edge.
- Bake on the hot baking sheet for 8-10 minutes or 25-30 minutes for a large one, then serve immediately with a salad.
Tip: Plump for a fruity, appley Chenin Blanc, perhaps from South Africa.
Nutritional info per serving
- Calories 435kcals
- Fat 31.9g (17.2 saturated)
- Protein 21.8g
- Carbohydrates 17.6g (4.5g)
- Salt 1.2g