- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup melted unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons smooth tahini paste (if there’s oil on the top, mix it thoroughly before adding it)
- 3 ripe yet firm bananas, mashed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, white or black
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour and salt until combined. In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and sugars. Crack in the egg, pour in the vanilla and tahini and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add the mashed bananas and baking soda and give it another good stir.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, stirring just until the speckles of flour disappear. Add the walnuts and mix one last time. Fill each of the muffin tin cavities about 3/4 of the way.
- Give the pan a couple of moderate smacks on the counter to even out the batter. Sprinkle with a pinch of sesame seeds.
- Transfer to the oven to bake for 35-40 minutes, or until the center has risen, the edges are golden brown, and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack.
Yield: 12 muffins