Spiced banana and coconut loafPerfect bread for the season,…
Spiced banana and coconut loaf
Perfect bread for the season, check the recipe below
- Makes 10 thick slices
- Hands on time 20 min, oven time 55min, plus cooling
- 125ml coconut or rapeseed oil, plus extra for greasing
- 2 overripe bananas (about 200g flesh)
- 3 tbsp light coconut milk (plus 1 tbsp if using shredded coconut)
- 100ml clear honey
- 2 medium free-range eggs
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
- 225g finely ground plain wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp chinese five-spice
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut (optional)
You will also need
- 900g loaf tin
- Heat the oven to 170°C/150°C fan/ gas 3½. Grease and line a 900g loaf tin. Using a fork or electric mixer, mash the bananas well.
- Put the coconut milk, oil, honey, eggs and vanilla extract into a large bowl, then whisk together until combined. Stir in the mashed banana.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, five-spice, cinnamon and coconut (if using) with a fork. Sift these dry ingredients onto the banana mixture, then fold in using a metal spoon until just combined. Pour into the prepared loaf tin, then bake for 50-55 minutes until well browned and a skewer pushed into the centre comes out clean.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tin for 5 minutes, then turn onto a wire rack. Leave for at least 15 minutes more or until cool before slicing.
Tip: Make the banana loaf up to 2 days ahead and keep in a sealed container out of the fridge. Or freeze, well wrapped, for up to 1 month.
Nutritional info per serving
- Calories 238kcals
- Fat 12.1g (9.3g saturated)
- Protein 4.8g
- Carbohydrates 25.7g (11.8g sugars)
- Fibre 3.2g
- Salt 1.8g